Delicious LinkedIn Facebook Twitter RSS Feed
Powered by Blogger.

Thanksgiving Part 1

And so it began... I woke up put my running shoes on and ran to starbucks to meet my mother for breakfast. After a grueling run and an absolutely pleasant breakfast it was time for the real battle to begin: Us vs time. We had set Thanksgiving dinner to be at 5:00PM and we started preparations the night before. So at 10:17:43AM we resumed our battle against father time and his merciless clock.
Had to keep it light because of the food that my near future had in store.

The uninvited breakfast guest sadly wandering off :(

All I can say is I envy the man/woman who just shows up to Thanksgiving. Don't over exert yourselves picking up that pre-made pumpkin pie or bottle of fine wine from the store on your way to dinner. Just joking, its all love. I'm just letting you know that I wish I had your responsibilities on this lovely holiday.

If your family hosts Thanksgiving at home and invites all the others to come over you know the struggle I lived through, but in all honesty the preparation is three quarters of the fun. All the cutting, basting, seasoning, cooking, and tasting can all be considered parts of the bonding experience. Not even two days back from college and I was knee deep in turkey gravy, candied sweet potatoes, and a mountainous pile of chopped scallions. Being in the kitchen with my parents, younger sister and grandmother was like stepping inside a time capsule. I was instantly teleported to the old times when I lived at home and the team was tightly knit.

For such an ugly raw thing turkey can be so good cooked




sweating over an open fire....


We yelled, ordered, sweat, stressed, laughed, danced, cried, thought, fried, roasted...etc. We lived through the tiring process of preparing a Thanksgiving dinner. It was the best, most tiring, horrible, "wouldn't trade it for the world" experience ever. Its one of those things that sends you on a roller coaster of emotion yet after its all done you realize how much fun you actually had and would not hesitate to do such a crazy thing again. Thanksgiving dinner preparation is not for the weak stomached, hearted, or minded. When people ask how was Thanksgiving dinner I simply say....."Amazing, I survived"
P.S. the battle ended at 5:01PM Father Time thought he had it in the bag, but we pulled a Kansas City Shuffle on Ol' boy.

Always worth it....Heavy dose of self induced sleep

0 comments:

Post a Comment