Delicious LinkedIn Facebook Twitter RSS Feed
Powered by Blogger.

AUTISM SPEAKS pt 1

     Sspring break has begun and work continues. Yesterday, I attended the "Walk For Autism" at JC Bermudez Park in Doral. All I can say is "awesome event for an even more awesome cause." The event was filled with entertainment, food, and plenty of awareness booths and lots of free gifts advertising related services . Awareness booths covered many subjects from autism brochures, to  forms of therapy, to barbershops and nail salons that warmly welcome customers with Autism. My favorite had to be booths in which they were advertising the hiring and assimilation into a work environment for autistic adults. All this coupled with bounce houses and entertainment aplenty for the young and old. Of course the walk followed the morning events, but was truly was a great event to be a part of.YThe city of Miami officials and administrative figures showed support and good face which was appreciated by attendees and was hopefully for the cause and not for the photo ops. Most importantly, the day was for the cause and it truly speaks volumes about our responsibility to all in our society.
     For the unaware, Autism is a lifelong developmental disorder that appears in the first three years of life and affects the brain's development of social and communication skills. Now I am not an expert on autism but I have my fair share of experiences from my mother working with autistic children, as well as my educational encounters with autism. Autism is categorized as a disorder and it is known to be a challenging path for both child and parent. In my eyes, I see autism as almost that " nerdy, quirky, unique" feature to the personalities of these amazing children. Its always eyeopening to view the human mind at work in everyday life but autistic children are absolutely intriguing to me. I don't see it as much as a disorder as I see it as unique and different perspective and way of interpreting life . I say that to say I understand people are searching for a cure, but I am not sure we are looking in the right direction or even asking the right questions. In my mind, and from what I know I believe advancements in behavior and interactions is much more important than a cure. If a cure involves interfering with genes and anything neurological I believe that its wrong. You may end up with a normal child but who defines normal. If you're dying to fit in I'm sorry for you because at LYMLIFE we love to stand out. People with Autism stand out and should be celebrated for their point of view of this world.  Who knows? Their worldview may be the telescope some of us need to look in. Your challenge is to support something for someone with unique needs.
     Autism is a challenge but shortcuts may cost  losing something special. Every child is special, some more than others but its that hint of originality that drives parents to love their children. Life is a struggle and by design, we struggle to appreciate our achievements true worth. I am no better than any individual with Autism. In my eyes, we are equal regardless of our condition. We are capable all of reaching our dreams with the right supports in place. Some need assistance, but who of us can say our journey would not be smoother with an extra push some time. Some officials spoke and made autism sound like leprosy. I heard a man say we do for these children because its humane. I'm sorry, that is the wrong way to go about things. We shouldn't do things because they are humane, we should do them to show  love and consideration. Do not exclude these children because they are different. Take your normal and their difference and find that ground which you can level on. Just a conversation with them might teach you something. They are just children ,they just need the extra push. They will struggle more than the average but in my eyes they are capable. The beauty is, when these children achieve, they don't take it for granted.The struggle is appreciated. Its the "normal" children who are overlooking their potential and being satisfied with the norm. So regardless of your condition or disorder, know that all of you have the right to LYM (leave your mark) and the right to dream. Don't let anyone take that from you! Through unity will come strength. We must unify. Autism doesn't only speak, it walks, and it breathes. So recognize it, and welcome it for we are all children of god and no one man is better than another.

0 comments:

Post a Comment